Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, June 3, 2013

Fun with Nonstandard Measurement, Plus a FREEBIE!

Last year, I had the incredible opportunity to participate in a yearlong partnership program through my college. We were in a local school all day every Tuesday and Thursday. I am so thankful for that extra observation and experience; I truly feel that it made me more prepared for student teaching.

 Anywho... one day per quarter was designated as our "integrated teaching day". We taught about a specific topic for an entire day (as a junior, the first one seemed soooo daunting. Last one? Piece of cake.) My day for winter quarter was all about nonstandard measurement. I think that of my three days, this is the one I was most proud of.

 For one of our activities, we used snacks as a nonstandard measurement tool. The students (first graders, by the way) could choose whether they wanted to use Cheerios or Goldfish. I made up this little activity sheet for them. They lined the snacks up on the pictures and recorded how big each one was. The idea was to get them used to lining up the measurement tool end to end with no spaces in between. They did really well and I think it was their favorite activity of the day.







As you can see... my precious firsties were very engaged in this activity. I loved seeing their little brains ticking as they measured the pictures.

The activity page we used is nothing huge. I still had a lot of learning to do when I made it a year ago, so it's nowhere near perfect, but I wanted to share it with you anyway. Just click on the link below to see it!
Snack Measurement Page

No comments:

Post a Comment